power manager icon in system tray?

Hi,

I am setting up a minimalistic fvwm-session (black screen, some xterms, clock, that’s about it). I figured out how to add nm-applet to stalonetray so that I can select a wireless network. The only other things I need is I think an icon/applet for a power manager. I have xfce4-power-manager running, but I can’t seem to figure out how to add an applet for that to stalonetray.

I’m not married to xfce4-power-manager, any power manager will do.

Any ideas?

Since version 1.3, xfce4-power-manager no longer provides a tray icon.

There’re five power manager available I think:

1. xfce4-power-manager => no tray icon
  2. gnome-power-manager => many dependencies
  3. KDE powermanager or Power Devil =>many dependencies (???)
  4. mate-power-manager (??? … haven’t any experience with it …)

Or you do it with different packages:

• pm-utils (< 0.99) for hibernate and suspend.
  • cpufrequtils / cpupower to do CPU frequency scaling.
  • laptop-mode-tools for general power saving facilities.

For more infos look into the Arch wiki “CPU frequency scaling”

– Thomas –

You could also try something like cbatticon which provides a very basic power management-type option (it will execute a command when the battery reaches a certain level). Note this only works when you’re logged into your Window Manager.

fdpowermon - another simple power manager with tray-icon to add to the list.

Thanks for the replies!

While experimenting with various options, fvwm kept crashing randomly every 5 - 15 minutes. The logs mention a `free() - memory bug’. Yikes.

Instead of trying to get to the bottom of that, I decided to switch to XFCE. I spent a few hours stripping all the unnecessary XFCE-things out of it, and am pretty close to the fvwm-configuration I’ve been using for 15 years. (With xfce-power-manager in the minimalistic tray this time.)