problem swallowing torsmo

Hi, I’m new in this forum, I think this question belongs to here. I was searching how to swallow torsmo in a FvwmButton, applied what I found but yet I can’t get it to work.

I’m using fvwm-crystal and I added the following lines to my own “recipe”:

[code]
DestroyModuleConfig FvwmTorsmo: *
*FvwmTorsmo: Rows 1
*FvwmTorsmo: Frame 0
*FvwmTorsmo: Columns 1
*FvwmTorsmo: Colorset 70
*FvwmTorsmo: BoxSize fixed
*FvwmTorsmo: (Swallow “torsmo” Exec exec torsmo -o -t '$nodename')

Style FvwmTorsmo Sticky, NoTitle, WindowListSkip, StaysOnBottom, BorderWidth 1
Module FvwmButtons -g 360x60+05-5 FvwmTorsmo[/code]

This is the resulting button ->

As you can see, or rather not see, nothing is shown, though torsmo is running.
Running the same command line from terminal I get this:

so I believe it’s not a problem of geometry, or something like that.

I would appreciate any tip on how to make it this work right.

Regards

malefico.

Maybe it helps to set the orientation:

torsmo -a top_left -o -t '$nodename'

Enzo
Btw the torsmo project is dead, but try out the new fork conky http://conky.sf.net/

It might be dead, but it still works.

The probem is more systemic than that. Look at this line in his config:

*FvwmTorsmo: (Swallow "torsmo" `Exec exec torsmo -o -t '$nodename'`)

What’s happening there is the shell is seeing $nodename in single quotes – no interpolation happens at that level, hence $nodename is parsed literally to tormso. I have no idea what that option does, but I bet that’s all it is, Just remove the single quotes.

See the following thread also:

viewtopic.php?t=767

– Thomas Adam

Thanks for the tips. The quotes seems to be actually needed, $nodename is a variable that both torsmo and conky recognize as the name of the machine.

I tried Conky, and it worked just OK. I could swallow Conky in a button in my little panel. Now it looks like this:

My code line for this is:

*DrivePanel: (11x1, Swallow "conky" "Exec exec conky -o -a top_left -t '$nodename con $sysname $kernel $time'")

Too bad ubuntu breezy package for Conky doesn’t seem to have Xft enabled. Time for compiling. (This was the reason I used torsmo instead, package did have Xft enabled).

Thanks for the help !

malefico

I’m curious about the following line:*FvwmTorsmo: (Swallow "torsmo" `Exec exec torsmo -o -t '$nodename'`) I notice that the name of the window in the provided graphic is “Torsmo”. I believe case is significant in the term after “Swallow”. You might try checking the output ofxprop | grep WM_CLASS If you see “torsmo” (with that lowercase T), then never mind.

In case the above was fruitless, do you mind sharing the definition Colorset 70? I seem to recall some difficulties with swallowed apps in FvwmButtons and colorsets, but its been awhile since I messed with the module, so I just might be misremembering.

IH