Problem using 6th mouse button

Hi! I have advanced with my FVWM config a lot, and now I also want to use my 6th mouse button (I got a new mouse for Christmas :smiley: ).

Just for fun - my mouse looks like this:

\
 \
  |
  |
/-------\
| 1|4|3 | 
|  |2|  |
|  |5|  |
|-------|
|   6   |
\-------/

Now I got my 6th mouse button working in xev and wanted to try it in FVWM. My target was to move windows by holding the 6th mouse button and moving the mouse.

I tried it with:

Mouse 6 W A Move

but this was not my wanted behaviour. When I clicked on a window with the 6th button, the window kept moving until I pressed the first mouse button.

Then I found another post where somebody seemed to have found the solution for moving a window with ALT+Mouse: Mouse 1 W M FuncFvwmMoveOrRaiseOrShade

This code worked for me, so I modified it that it would use the 6th mouse button: Mouse 6 W A FuncFvwmMoveOrRaiseOrShade

But this just does nothing when I use the 6th button, there is just a message displayed on the console:

Warning: Got mouse button 6 when there was a maximum is 5. You can't bind complex functions to this button.

Hmm, you might want to look at xmodmap – particularly via the use of “pointer = …” – this is explained in one of the main FVWM FAQs.

– Thomas Adam

But the FVWM FAQ on fvwm.org says:

I already use xmodmap on startup: + I Exec exec xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 6 4 5"

If I don’t use it, the mouse wheel gets crazy.

What about your xorg.conf file — have you made any changes to that?

– Thomas Adam

Yep, I changed it to:

Option      "Buttons" "6"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "5 6"

from

Option      "Buttons" "4"  <----- I'm not sure about this
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

The cvs version (or a snapshot) has support for moving of windows ending with any button.

From the cvs manpage on Move:

It’s not possible to achive what you want with a version prior to cvs after 2005-09-25.

Could it be that you misunderstood me? Or have you tested this? Because I don’t want to set a special mouse button to cancel the move operation, I just want the move operation to end when no button is pressed anymore.

If you should be right, I’ll probably move my windows with ALT+Mouse - and when a new FVWM version is released, I’ll upgrade immediately.

EDIT: I’ve read the man page of the old version, and you seem to be right. When using the newest version, which syntax would I use? Is there an online version of this man page? Or could you post it here?

As far as I know there is no online version of the cvs manpage.

The relevant part of the manpage is

However, just running the newer version should be ennough since it uses a default config which cancel placement with button two, unless dragging with button two, when button one cancel placements.