Quake Style Terminal

Hi everyone. I’ve just installed FVWM today and although I don’t have a full config for you, I’d like to share my Quake-style terminal and see what you think :slight_smile:

Basically, I should have a X terminal window launch / pop up at the top half of my screen every time hit WinKey+Enter. It should be without decoration, on all pages/desktops, have no desktop iccon, not appear in the Alt+Tab menu, and must be manageable even if the window title changes.

Some caveats: it is a basic version, as I’m not into decorations, animations, transparency, etc. My config was inspired by this page.

Well, here is the screenshot: imgur.com/Xq1qioS

And here is my config:

[code]####### quake like terminal #######
DestroyFunc start_quickterm
AddToFunc start_quickterm

Give quickterm state 1 so it can be found if title changes

• I Style quickterm State 1

Remove all decorations and make visible on all pages/desktops

• I Style quickterm !Title, !Handles, !Borders
  • I Style quickterm Sticky

Disable desktop icons and remove from Alt+Tab list

• I Style quickterm NoIcon
  • I Style quickterm WindowListSkip

If window with “State 1” already exists (un)iconify it

• I Next (State 1, CurrentDesk) Iconify Toggle

If no window has state 1, exec xterm

• I None (State 1, CurrentDesk) Exec exec xterm -T quickterm

Wait for quickterm to open, then apply the following

• I Wait quickterm

Set size, position and focus window

• I Next (State 1, CurrentDesk) ResizeMove 1024p 300p 0p 0p
  • I Next (State 1, CurrentDesk) Raise
  • I Next (State 1, CurrentDesk) Focus

Apply keybinding to toggle the quickterm on/off

Key Return A 4 start_quickterm
####### quake like terminal #######[/code]

A couple of random points:
I’ve tried putting all those style command on one line, but they seem to be ignored.
I’ve tried using “State 1” with my style commands, but haven’t got it working yet, so for now my style commands use “quickterm”.

Any comments are welcome:)

Put the styles out of the function:

Style quickterm State 1 Style quickterm !Title, !Handles, !Borders Style quickterm Sticky Style quickterm NoIcon Style quickterm WindowListSkip

The problem could be that FVWM doesn’t know what application has state 1.

Try this (haven’t tested because I’m at work)]####### quake like terminal #######
DestroyFunc start_quickterm
AddToFunc start_quickterm

If window with “State 1” already exists (un)iconify it

• I Next (quickterm, State 1, CurrentDesk) Iconify Toggle

If no window has state 1, exec xterm

• I None (quickterm, State 1, CurrentDesk) Exec exec xterm -T quickterm

Wait for quickterm to open, then apply the following

• I Wait quickterm

Set size, position and focus window

• I Next (quickterm, State 1, CurrentDesk) ResizeMove 1024p 300p 0p 0p
  • I Next (quickterm, State 1, CurrentDesk) Raise
  • I Next (quickterm, State 1, CurrentDesk) Focus

Apply keybinding to toggle the quickterm on/off

Key Return A 4 start_quickterm
####### quake like terminal #######[/code]
– Thomas –

Btw. have you checked with Identify that your terminal is named quickterm ?

Sorry, I was not clear enough in my initial post. As I have it, with multiple Style commands inside the function on different lines and applying Style commands to “quickterm” rather than “State 1” windows, everything is working fine, or at least, as expected.

I just wanted to make things neater by putting the Style commands into one line. I.E:

Style quickterm !Title, !Handles, !Borders, Sticky, NoIcon, WindowListSkip

And applying that command to windows with “State 1” rather than the title "quickterm", I.E:

Style State 1 !Title, !Handles, !Borders, Sticky, NoIcon, WindowListSkip

When I put the Style command on one line, it seemed to stop working. However, I have rewritten it, and it works fine now. I must have missed a comma or something stupid.

But I can’t seem to apply Style commands to “State 1” windows. Should this be possible in theory?

Again, my mistake. What I meant was that it works fine as it was (without the extra “quickterm” condition added in there) but what didn’t work was applying those Style commands using only the State, rather than the name “quickterm”. The Resize, Move, Focus, etc. commands work fine without the extra “quickterm” condition.

I originally had the same solution as you. However, this suggestion runs into a few problems when certain applications such as cmus, top and vifm change the title of my window. Once the name has been changed Fvwm fails to find my terminal and spawns another (that is why I introduced States in the first place).

Yes, the name is quickterm, and as mentioned above, worked as expected. My only gripe was not being able to apply Style commands to “State 1” windows rather than windows titled “quickterm”.

Sorry for wasting your time. Thank you again for the comments and help though.