Raise/lower when mouse enters/leaves a window

I guess this one’s simple, but I couldn’t figure it out.
I have FVWMButtons and gkrellm in the top left corner of my screen. I’d like to raise each one when the mouse pointer enters one of them, and I want the window that had the focus before to be re-focused & raised when the mouse pointer leaves them. For all other windows, I’d like to keep the default ClickToFocus behaviour that I use anyway.
This bit of my .fvwm2rc

Style "*" ClickToFocus Style "FvwmButtons" Sticky, MouseFocus Style "*gkrellm*" Sticky, MouseFocus
raises them accordingly, but doesnt give back the focus to the previous window when the pointer leaves them. So I assume that this is a job for FVWM Script, but my attempts failed so far. I guess that someone’s done this before and can just post a small code snippet here?
If you read the Gentoo Forums, you’ll see that I posted almost the exact same message there - sorry, but I didn’t get any feedback there.

I didn’t see your post on the gentoo forums.

Interesting problem. Try using FvwmEvent to catch focus change and leave window events. Then you could call a funciton on focus change to set a variable to store the window id. Keep the previous one as well so you always have the IDs of the last two focussed windows.

On an exit-window event, call a function and check to see which window you left. If it’s FvwmButtons of gkrellm then you can use the previously focussed window id to raise and focus that window.

Needs a little work, but it should be doable

Not a variable – ugh! Use “State” as a means of identifying it. That was you cut out all of the piperead stuff you’d have to do as a result. For example, you could use the “enter_window” and “leave_window” events to dictate what’s what (note: I have not tested this):

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent-foo: *
FvwmEvent-foo: Cmd Function
FvwmEvent-foo: enter_window FE-EnterWindow
FvwmEvent-foo: leave_window FE-LeaveWindow

So the above sets up FvwmEvent (using the alias of ‘FvwmEvent-foo’) to listen on the events specified. Note that you don’t necessarily want to use the event of focus_change as that could cause any number of race conditions. Moving on, the function for FE-EnterWindow might look something like this:

[code]
DestroyFunc FE-EnterWindow
AddToFunc FE-EnterWindow

• I ThisWindow (“gkrellm” AcceptsFocus CurrentPage) Raise
  • I TestRc (Match) Any (CurrentPage AcceptsFocus) ThisWindow (“FvwmButtons”) Raise
  • I TestRc (NoMatch) Break[/code]

Which for any window called either gkrellm or FvwmButtons Would raise both. So that when you next leave the windows, you might define FE-LeaveWindow as:

DestroyFunc FE-LeaveWindow
AddToFunc FE-LeaveWindow
+ I Prev ( !"gkrellm" !"FvwmButtons" AcceptsFocus) FlipFocus

Or somesuch. It’ll need a bit more work, but it should get you started. The other way of doing it, would be (on focus of either FvwmButtons or gkrellm) would be to set a State on the windows, and test for that state on WindowLeave – it would probably be slightly easier, too.

HTH,

– Thomas Adam

Why piperead? Surely something like this should work?

[code]DestroyFunc FuncRefocus
AddToFunc FuncRefocus

• I SetEnv window_to_be_focussed $[last_but_one_focus]
  • I WindowId $[window_to_be_focussed] Focus
  • I WindowId $[window_to_be_focussed] Raise
    [/code]

If all you use the focus window event for is to set an environment variable (or state) and you trigger the re-focus on window exit there shouldn’t be any contention.

Or did I miss something obvious?

There might be – it depends on the focus policy you use (i.e. I suspect that ClickToFocus won’t cause many issues, but SloppyFocus might). Either way, passing FvwmEvent something like:

*Foo:  Delay 1

Should sort any nasties out. :slight_smile:

– Thomas Adam

Many thanks to both of you! This is what it became for now:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent: *
*FvwmEvent: leave_window FE-LeaveWindow

DestroyFunc FE-LeaveWindow
AddToFunc FE-LeaveWindow

+ I TestRc (Match) \
    ThisWindow ("gkrellm|FvwmButtons|FvwmPager") \
    Prev ( !"gkrellm", !"FvwmButtons", !"FvwmPager", CurrentPage, AcceptsFocus) \
      FlipFocus

+ I TestRc (Match) \
      ThisWindow ("gkrellm|FvwmButtons|FvwmPager") \
        Lower

It gets confused when I scroll over to a different page and then put the mouse pointer over one of the windows in the list, and to my surprise FvwmEvent seems too slow to catch events when I move the mouse quickly, but otherwise it does exactly what I need.
It seems like the enter_window event doesn’t need to be handled in any special manner because those windows are set to MouseFocus anyway.