RightPanel Buttons Display Incorrect Desk After FVWM Restart

After restarting FVWM, the buttons in RightPanel show the incorrect desk. When I am on a desk other than 0 and restart FVWM, the pager displays the correct desk, but the wrong button appears to be higligted.

Using “ChangeDesk $[desk.n]” in fvwm-console seems to fix the issue, but I haven’t managed to make it work from the start function. Currently, I include this command in the shortcut I use to pop up the panel. However, this is not an elegant solution. Ideally, I would like the buttons to retain their visible status from before the restart. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

There was a similar issue with the Desk/Page number, but it was fixed. Which Fvwm3 version/update do you have?

Thankyou for anwering.
“ptr@sagemcom:~> fvwm3 --version
fvwm3 1.1.1 (1.1.0-68-gd26bed64)
with support for: ReadLine, XPM, PNG, SVG, Shape, XShm, SM, Bidi text, XRandR, XRender, XCursor, XFT, NLS”

Some test I did .

Silent Key Space A C ChangeDesk $[desk.n]

Fail!

DestroyFunc UpdateDesk
AddToFunc UpdateDesk
+ I ChangeDesk $[desk.n]

Silent Key Space A C UpdateDesk

Success, butons updated.

AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I UpdateDesk

Fail

Did a few tests on different versions including 2.7. All show incorrect desk after Restart. The page number is correct.

Example: Desk 1 Page 1-1
desk1-page1-1

After Restart:
desk0-page1-1

I hope this can be corrected, Right Panel “remembers” the page number.

As I mentioned, we can trigger it to correct. Please test my second example, which uses a key binding to a function call. I am puzzled as to why it needs to be triggered from a key binding to a function call, and not directly from a key binding or the start function. In StartFunction, I have been testing with very long schedules (schedule 50000), so it’s probably not a timing issue.

Doesn’t seem to have any good solution. Usually, Schedule does it but not for ChangeDesk $[desk.n]. Annoying, the Right Panel gets stuck until updated. A mouse click at another desk does it but not ok.

File a bug report or I can do it.

@dante65, This is most likely a bug in how RightPanel is launched from the StartFunction. In this case it is configured to always show Desk 0 as highlighted, and the event to change this doesn’t happen until a desk change is triggered.

As mentioned the Schedule method can work, but really is more a work around and is subject to race conditions. Another option might be to add some Test to the RightPanel configuration to highlight the correct desk. I will think about this a bit, but I know what is going on, just unsure the best way to fix the issue.

I see. I am still puzzled, though, why the following does not work:

Silent Key Space A C ChangeDesk $[desk.n]

While this updates the buttons:

DestroyFunc UpdateDesk
AddToFunc UpdateDesk
+ I ChangeDesk $[desk.n]

Silent Key Space A C UpdateDesk

The reason is how variable expansion works, when you just make a key binding, $[desk.n] gets expanded to the desk at the time the key binding is made, not the time it is pressed.

When you wrap the update into a function, the expansion of $[desk.n] happens when the function is run, so it will always get the current desk.

Actually seems my previous idea was incorrect, I think the issue is during the restart, the current desk isn’t set until after $[desk.n] expands, I’m looking into this more, as my fix didn’t work in this case.