Running fvwm on high resolution screens (redux)

My newly purchased Dell XPS 13 9300 has a default resolution of 3840x2400, so that the settings that worked perfectly on all my older machines now produce text that is too small to read.
Back in Sept 17, Alex_Hager asked how to set up fvwm to run on machines with higher resolution than 1920x1080. @thomasadam answered that it was not possible, and that you had to do it manually.
Now it seems that pretty much all machines default to resolutions higher than 1920x1080 and are only going to get higher this seems to be very unfortunate. I was hoping that fvwm3 was going to fix this problem, but the instructions on how to install it are way above my paygrade. Is it indeed the case that fvwm3 can handle higher resolutions? if not, could somebody point me to a site that explains how a layman (i.e., not-IT user) might manually make the adjustments. I can run xrandr -s 1920x1080 but it’s extremely klunky and leaves all sorts of system text way to small. Thanks for any advice!

Hey @LeoKSimon

This isn’t really a Fvwm problem, believe it or not. What you’re asking is all about HiDPI scaling, which is aimed at GUI frameworks for applications (such as GTK/QT). The best advice I can suggest is here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

Ultimately, the state of HiDPI support on Linux is pretty poor, outside of applications which aren’t using GTK/QT.

I also thought resolutions will become a problem, actually not. Depends on the config(s). With basic knowledge of Fvwm, manual change is needed for geometries and fonts, such as…

Geometry 81x400-0+170
Font "xft:Sans:Bold:size=10:antialias=True"

If geometries include $[vp.height] and similar variables, then the screen should look fine. With fonts, change the size. Or add at the end of config the desirable default fonts.

#Default Font
DefaultFont "xft:Noto Sans:size=12"

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.