skippy

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck with getting skippy 0.5 (the non-XD version) - thegraveyard.org/skippy.php - to work properly with FVWM 2.5.12?

It compiles okay, and runs without reporting errors, but there seem to be some issues:

It doesn’t refresh app windows
It doesn’t display app windows which are not part of the page from which skippy was called
It doesn’t switch to apps which are not from the page from which skippy was called

It’s not the end of the world, since I’m told the XD version (used with X.org instead of XFree) is supposed to work, and I’m somewhat overdue for an upgrade :slight_smile:

As an afterthought, has someone managed to emulate skippy/expose natively within FVWM? It’s so configurable, it wouldn’t surprise me.

Regards,

Rob

Fvwm can do this for you without using that program – as for “Expose” you’ll want to see this screenshot as well as the Function which does it (taken from here):

[code]DestroyFunc FvwmExpose
AddToFunc FvwmExpose

• I AddToMenu FvwmExposeMenu “.: e x p o s e :.” Title
  • I + DynamicPopDownAction DestroyMenu FvwmExposeMenu
  • I All (!Iconic !Shaded CurrentPage AcceptsFocus)
    PipeRead “echo Raise;
    xwd -silent -id $[w.id] | convert -scale 128 -quality 0 xwd:-
    png:$[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.exp.$[w.id].png
    && echo AddToMenu FvwmExposeMenu
    %$[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.exp.$[w.id].png%\’”$[w.name]"\’ WindowID $[w.id] WarpToWindow 50 50
    && echo AddToMenu FvwmExposeMenu \"\" Nop
    || Nop"
  • I Popup FvwmExposeMenu
  • I Exec exec rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.exp.*[/code]

You can surely adapt it to suit your needs.

HTH,

– Thomas Adam

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply. This is not quite what I had in mind, since it does not work for windows on other pages. xwd does not appear to be able to take snapshots of iconised windows or windows from other pages so I fear this is possibly the wrong direction.

I suspect the sort of complex results that skippy offers (supposedly) is something which can only be obtained by a fairly low-level manipulation of X.

Your reply did get me thinking, and I am currently investigating possible options using FvwmIconMan, FvwmWinList, and FvwmWindowMenu. However without being able to grab screenshots of iconised or off-page windows, the options for eye-candy :unamused: are limited.

Regards,

Rob

Having thought about the xwd issue for a while, and assuming xwd is the only choice of window-dumping app we have, the only solution I can think of is to:

[list]
create a screenshot icon each time a window is minimised,
create a screenshot icon each time a window is shaded, and
create a screenshot icon of each window on a page each time the user moves out of that page
[/list:u]

This seems a bit excessive! :open_mouth: It also mean that apps which are started on other pages (e.g. using skipmapping) get left out. Ah well.

Regards,

Rob

That’s very true, what you say about SkipMapping. The only way around it, would be to warptowindow of the mapped window, take a snapshot, and then focus where you were before. But that has all kinds of race conditions involved within it.

So you’ll have to see what the XD version is like… :slight_smile:

– Thomas Adam

Not to revive an old thread, but just wanted PainlessRob to know that Skippy for me does show all active windows from all pages no matter which page it’s activated from. I’m using the Debian packaged version and FVWM 2.5.12.

I still get the sames problem as others… mjukr, are you using the XD version?