[SOLVED]startx problem

Okay I’m wondering if anyone can help me with this? When I login and use ‘startx’ I get an error ‘.xinitrc: line 1: fvwm command not found’. I have one line with ‘fvwm’ in my .xinitrc file. It worked in the 2.4.20 but when I installed 2.5.21 I started getting that error. Also I noticed the fvwm is linked to fvwm2, and fvm2 is linked to fvwm. Fvwm-root is linked to xpmroot, and xpmroot is linked to fvwm-root. I don’t know if this is the problem or what. Can anyone tell me how to get fvwm started?

Thanks,

faceless_intruda

Sounds to me like you have a botched installation. fvwm2 should link to /usr/bin/fvwm (or wherever the installation prefix is when you installed it), you should not have this circular dependency issue you describe above.

Again. xpmroot will link to fvwm-root in FVWM 2.5.X since that’s what replaced the old xpmroot command from FVWM 2.4.X. I have no idea what you’ve done here, but it sounds like you didn’t uninstall 2.4.X before installing 2.5.X such that something is really confused. I would remove any FVWM installation(s) off your computer and just try again with 2.5.21 proper.

– Thomas Adam

[quote=“thomasadam”]

[quote="
Sounds to me like you have a botched installation. fvwm2 should link to /usr/bin/fvwm (or wherever the installation prefix is when you installed it), you should not have this circular dependency issue you describe above.

Again. xpmroot will link to fvwm-root in FVWM 2.5.X since that’s what replaced the old xpmroot command from FVWM 2.4.X. I have no idea what you’ve done here, but it sounds like you didn’t uninstall 2.4.X before installing 2.5.X such that something is really confused. I would remove any FVWM installation(s) off your computer and just try again with 2.5.21 proper."

– Thomas Adam[/quote]
I uninstalled 2.4.20 by doing a “make uninstall”. Oh! well I’m going to try and reinstall. Could it be that I installed 2.5.21 and the installed fvwm-themes and then tried to start up fvwm?

Thanks,

faceless_intruda

A reinstall worked perfectly.

Thanks,

faceless_intruda