{SOLVED]terminal prob

I am getting the fvwm hanging on startup I suspect because I don;t have the game terminal - I am trying to run fvwm green and the install tells me that if I don’t have the terminal set correctly it will hang on startup:

3. You'll probably want to edit the fvwm2rc.variables file before starting fvwm.
   Especially important is to specify the terminal that you use, otherwise you
   will not get past the startup (fvwm will "hang"). If the terminal you specify
   does not support the -name argument, you will have to find its argument that
   provides similar functionality for the "game terminal" to work.

I have made some changes to the variables and even the startup script to no avail?? Basically I don’t know which terminal to specify - here you can see that I have tried to specify gnome-terminal but either it is not able to take the -name arguement or I am getting all this completely wrong… The gnome-terminal works from a vanilla config.

TIA will

# Variables:

# Theme
SetEnv ThemeColor green                         # "blue", "green", "grey", or "orange"
SetEnv ThemeStyle unity                         # "tyrex" or "unity"
SetEnv alpha_tint 60                            # Level of dock tinting
# MPD Control
#SetEnv CoverArt cover.jpg                      # Filename of cover art in your
music directories
# Terminal
SetEnv TermName gnome-terminal
# Weather
#SetEnv LocationCode USCO0038                   # Change for your location (weather.com)
#######################################
# Starting and Exiting
#######################################

AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I PipeRead "$[FVWM_USERDIR]/scripts/wp $[FVWM_USERDIR]/images/wallpapers/$[ThemeColor].jpg $[vp.width] $[vp.height] $[alpha_tint] $[FVWM_USERDIR]/images/wallpaper.png"
+ I Exec exec fvwm-root --retain-pixmap $[FVWM_USERDIR]/images/wallpaper.png
+ I Test (Restart) All (Iconic) Test (f /dev/shm/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png) WindowStyle IconOverride, Icon /dev/shm/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png
+ I Module FvwmButtons FvwmDock
+ I Module FvwmProxy
+ I Module FvwmEvent
+ I Test (Init) StartTerminal
+ I Test (Init) Exec exec rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/.icons        # Removes the file that stores iconified app's window IDs (used for keybindings)

DestroyFunc StartTerminal
AddToFunc StartTerminal
+ I Exec exec $[TermName] -name gameterm
+ I Wait gameterm
+ I All (gameterm) Resize 100 45
+ I All (gameterm) Move 0p 0p
+ I All (gameterm) WindowShade

UPDATE - I fixed this by using xterm (well DUH? right? - I am a bit slow on the takeup sometimes :slight_smile: ) I guess gnome-terminal does not support -name - I even tried it with -title based on what I found in the help.

Be aware that FVWM will not understand comments on the ends of lines like that when it parses the file, so remove them on a line of their own.

– Thomas Adam