Viewport Scrolling

When there are multiple resolution entries in the xorg.conf (or XF86Config) file, resolution switching is possible with the ctrl, alt, and keypad +/-. When switching to a lower resolution it creates a zoomed-in effect and only a portion of the virtual desktop can be seen in the active viewport. Moving the mouse to the edge of the viewport causes the viewport to scroll along the virtual desktop.

Does anyone know how to disable the scrolling that takes place? I’d like to be able to toggle it on and off when I switch resolutions.

You can’t toggle it, although this might help you:

That was taken from ‘man xf86config-4’ – there’s no difference between you using that, and Xorg.

– Thomas Adam

That does what it claims to do but doesn’t really help with what I’m trying to do…

I suppose being able to make the virtual and actual resolutions match would also solve my problem. Anyone know how to make the actual resolution change and not just get a zoomed in effect?

Well, the CTRL-SHIFT ± are relative modes, so I think it’s a feature.

– Thomas Adam

To change the resolution and also the viewport size, you can use the RANDR extension, which is enabled by default and also available on XFree86 4.3. To do this use the xrandr program

To list available modes

xrandr

for instance I have

% xrandr SZ: Pixels Physical Refresh *0 1024 x 768 ( 260mm x 195mm ) *0 1 800 x 600 ( 260mm x 195mm ) 0 2 640 x 480 ( 260mm x 195mm ) 0 Current rotation - normal Current reflection - none Rotations possible - normal Reflections possible - none

To select 800x600

xrandr -s 1

to select 640x480

xrandr -s 2

Usually, application aware of RANDR extension (as gnome or KDE panel) are automatically resized and replaced.

Ctrl-+/- still works to keep the same viewport size.

This assumes your monitor can handle the extension – some can’t. Worth a try, though.

– Thomas Adam

Ah, that’s right! I’d completely forgotten about xrandr. I’ll make a small wrapper script to call xrandr with the resolution I want, and upon exit from the program I’ll have it put the display back to normal.

Thanks, all.