What is the best clock?

And thanks again :smiley:
I need a clock to mine fvwm but i not sure what the best clock anybody recomends one?! (if possible one if only display numbers without borders and title bar) tks

[color=red]Edited by theBlackDragon:
ā€“>split from this thread because it was offtopic there.[/color]

There are a few. Traditionally. there is ā€˜xclockā€™ which is as old as X11. You can do all manner of things from within ~/.Xdefaults to change it all you like. This displays both analogue and digital clock formats.

A ā€œbetterā€ clock is ā€˜rclockā€™ which is distributed along with rxvt (both of which were written by Rob Nation, just like Fvwm). This allows for some further enhancements xclock does not have.

If you like shaped clocks, ā€˜ocockā€™ is OK, but I donā€™t like it. I much prefer the ā€˜clockā€™ program from the XView32-examples package (installed along with OpenWindows, although you can install it separate from that). This is an analogue clock, mind.

Distributed with fvwm-themes, is an FvwmScript applet called ā€˜Digital-Clockā€™, I believe ā€“ or something like that.

Fancier clocks exist still. Thereā€™s Xdaliclock, and dclock, which provide some very nifty digital clocks.

Personally though, I kill two birds with one stone, and use a program called ā€˜xloadtimeā€™ which is essentially ā€˜xloadā€™ with a clock at the top ā€“ although it can do more than xload does.

All of these can be configured to be swallowed by FvwmButtons, if you so desire, etc. As to make their border inactive and whatnot, use a style such as:

Style xxx  !Title, !Borders, !Handles

Where ā€œxxxā€ is the name of the clock you have chosen.

HTH,

ā€“ Thomas Adam[/code]

thanksā€¦
i like xclock but my problem is still transparency itā€™s possible make xclock transparent?sorry for my ignorance but iā€™m very newbie in fvwm i have fvwm only three day ago :smiley:
http://213.22.61.149/fvwm1

my desktop screenshot

xdaliclock is a very good tranparency clock.

http://www.jwz.org/xdaliclock/

Is there any transparent analogue clock? Iā€™ve tried oclock but I find it rather ugly, I would really like to have something like a transparent xclockā€¦

I found this link: http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/pub/index.html where someone seems to have made a transparent version of xclock. Unfortunately I canā€™t make it compile, can anyone help me?

$ imake -I /usr/lib64/X11/config/ gcc: GNU C no longer supports -traditional without -E imake: Exit code 1. Stop.

I compiled it with:

gcc *.c -lX11 -lXt -lXmu -lXaw -o xclocktrans

Thanks, it compiled!

ā€¦but it seems impossible to swallow it with FvwmButtons. It also crashes if I try to run it with a -geometry option:

$ ./xclocktrans -geometry 90x90 X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) Major opcode of failed request: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes) Resource id in failed request: 0x0 Serial number of failed request: 30 Current serial number in output stream: 31

Heres the one i use Its really configurealbe.

Here are a couple of recent additions to the growing list of X analogue clocks: xonclock and cairo-clock.

The last one requires xcompmgr to work properly.

:slight_smile: