Width of taskbar - and - maximized windows behind taskbar

Hello,

I use fvwm2 and fvwm-themes on Debian Squeeze. Now I’ve managed to tinker a fancy cross between the Redmond98 and CDE themes… :laughing:
SCREENSHOT: http://i.imgur.com/TRU73.png
Well, people might say it looks as strange as french fries with marmelade :mrgreen: but actually I like the nostalgic old-fashioned look.

I’ve three small problems (+1 hint) and hope you can give me a hint:

Problem 1
The taskbar doesn’t span the entire width of the screen. On the right side it is a few pixels too small. (I guess 6 pixels are missing.) Maybe this is an effect of the borders (CDE look). I disabled the borders for the taskbar. Can I make the taskbar consume the complete horizontal size? In the screenshot you can see the down-right corner of the Firefox window to the right of the taskbar clock. :confused:
ps ax shows

... 1851 ? S 0:00 /usr/lib/fvwm/2.5.30/FvwmTaskBar 9 4 none 0 8
Do these command line parameters cause the mentioned problem? I don’t really know where fvwm gets these from when invoking FvwmTaskBar. :confused]Problem 2[/b]
I made the taskbar stay in front (sticky). This works fine. But if I maximize a window, its bottom part is behind the taskbar. Maximizing makes a window enlarge to the entire screen size. Therefore, status bars etc. are hidden behind the taskbar. How to fix that?

Problem 3
The extremely modular structure of the theme configuration files makes manual changes a horrible undertaking. :laughing: Has the fvwm-themes team considered providing BSD-style all-in-one theme files as an additional alternative? So users could choose between a preconfigured .fvwm2rc template (easy to edit) and the widely ramified sets of config files being in use now?
I’d appreciate a .tar.gz file for each theme, containing a .fvwm2rc config file plus additional resources (images etc.).

Notice
Having registered my fresh new user account, I noticed these php error messages:

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

Regards,
crockett

It does according to my fix:

github.com/ThomasAdam/fvwm/comm … a644f23aa1

Which is in current FVWM CVS – so use it.

You’re either not using FVWM 2.5.X or CVS – either way, given problem 1 above, you’ll need to use CVS, in which case, go read up on “EwmhBaseStruts”.

Blah, blah, blah, what?

– Thomas Adam

Thanks for the fast response!

I have the latest version available at Debian’s stable package repository. It says: “fvwm (1:2.5.30.ds-1)”. Okay, Debian packages being not up-to-date is not unusual… :laughing: I’ll compile the latest version by myself.

I didn’t mean to offend anybody. :wink: For me (fvwm beginner), it’s often not easy to find out where a specific setting can be found. The configuration of the themes is split up into so many small files which branch again to other files. It’s not easy to catch on. :wink: I often have to use grep to search the config files in order to find a specific setting.
I think one file per theme (.fvwm2rc template) would be easier to edit, especially if the template file is commented.

Indeed – you only need to see my responses to bugs.debian.org/fvwm – to realise this.

– Thomas Adam