windows do not move anymore

hi

i am using fvwm on an ubuntu box and like it a lot. but since quite some time my title bar is behaving strange - when i press a mousebutton on it. the mouse button bindings react wrong - before the left mousebutton brought the window in the foreground or alternatively in the background. now the right button does that. and when i held the left button,i was able to move the window. now i only get this circular cursor know from gnome/ubuntu if u have to wait for something and nothing else happens.

it might be the result of me using nautilus for some time, i do not really know anymore, when the problem came up for the first time.

i have some keyindings to move the windows, bu still it would be nice to do i with the mouse

thank u in advance 4 ur answer
M-

Oh, I suspect more that you just have to turn numlock off.

– Thomas Adam

no, it is turned off
and turning it on did not change anything, either

how can i find out, what is wrong ? are there any log files to search through ?

M-

starshine.org/xteddy/thomas/fvwm … q.html#df1

Using a pastebin (rafb.net/paste) put your fvwm2rc file there,

What version of FVWM is running?

– Thomas Adam

thanx for those hints

xsessions-errors did not show anything unusual
i run fvwm 2.5.16
here is my config:

rafb.net/p/7AMDBl17.html

M-

No wonder it’s not working, the functions your mouse bindings are referencing aren’t even in your config file. Here’s the problem:

Mouse 1 F       A FuncFvwmResizeOrRaise
Mouse 1 TS      A       FuncFvwmMoveOrRaise
Mouse 1 I       A       FuncFvwmMoveOrIconify

Those functions are probably the ones you stole from fvwm-themes. Here are the definitions for them:

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmResizeOrRaiseOrShade
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmResizeOrRaiseOrShade
+ H     Resize$0
+ M     Resize$0
+ C     Raise
+ D     WindowShade

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmMoveOrRaiseLower
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmMoveOrRaiseLower
+ H     Move
+ M     Move
+ C     RaiseLower

DestroyFunc FuncFvwmMoveOrIconify
AddToFunc   FuncFvwmMoveOrIconify
+ M     Move
+ D     Iconify

In addition to that your config is a mess. I’ll clean it up for you and place a pastebin link to it. You should really be reading this whilst you wait:

viewtopic.php?t=1505

– Thomas Adam

OK,

See the following: rafb.net/p/48oY0a83.html

My comments begin with ‘###’ and hint at some of the things you ought to change yourself, with suitable pointers for you.

Note that this was very easy to diagnose. You insistence that there wasn’t anything useful logged to ~/.xsession-errors is probably because of one of the following:

1. FVWM isn’t logging there.
  2. Or it is, but you weren’t bothering to read what it was telling you.

Now, I wouldn’t like to presume that 2., above is true of you, but who knows?

Getting FVWM to log there is trivial:

starshine.org/xteddy/thomas/fvwm … q.html#df1

Oddly enough – if something isn’t working properly that was:

a) Spawned from FVWM, or:
b) Is as a result of a command to FVWM not working.

It’s a safe bet to assume that FVWM might log useful if it can’t do something. That’s what was happening here.

– Thomas Adam

whow, thanx for that, thomas! such a quick answer and so much more answered, then i asked for. i will try it tomorrow, its too late now.

yeah, i know. i do not really know where i took it from … its years ago, must have bin for 2.4.something. then i just added the functionality i wanted and did not really care to understand the rest or develop it further. but still, the mouse was working correctly in the beginning and it is doing things now, like putting the window in the fore- respectively background with the right mouse button on the titlebar

well, maybe i was not bothering then
because fvwm logs to that file.

[FVWM][scanForPixmap]: <<WARNING>> Couldn't load image from /usr/share/pixmaps/tomboy-32.xpm
[FVWM][FlocaleGetFontSet]: (-adobe-times-bold-r-*-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*) Missing font charsets:
JISX0208.1983-0, KSC5601.1987-0, GB2312.1980-0, JISX0201.1976-0
[FVWM][__execute_function]: <<ERROR>> No such command 'bgTint'
charmap_string_to_mask: bad modifier e
charmap_string_to_mask: bad modifier u
[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<WARNING>> Illegal modifier in line Tab         A       Menu     Next [AcceptsFocus CurrentDesk] FocusToTop
[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No such key: -
[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No such key: .
[FVWM][ParseBinding]: <<ERROR>> No such key: >
[FVWM][__execute_function]: <<ERROR>> No such command 'ls'
[FVWM][FlocaleLoadFont]: WARNING -- can't load font '-urw-century', trying default: -*-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
[FVWM][FlocaleLoadFont]: WARNING -- can't load font '-urw-century', trying default:       -*-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-fixed-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-medium-r-normal-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

well, i did not see anything with mouse, so i thought that there is nothing concerning my problem. excuse my simple way of thought. i like the functionality fvwm offers, but i am too lazy to dig really deep
:blush:
M-