Fvwm-KISe

Great, big difference from earlier version. Did you see @amlug vertical pager, amazing. Also horizontal is too wide for maximizing windows. Still checking for other things.

I asked a few friends to try KIS and they really like it. First impression and look. And interesting buttons and panels. Also, tag and untag configs are self-explanatory. Less text would be better.
To change menu and icon panel apps pushed them off. Managed to find files but content is too much. Icon panel quite ok but menu impossible.

Picom setting file is good, does what it say.
Is it possible to move Rofi setting file to .fvwm/setup?

1. In menu, remove all app items what xfce4-appfinder and rofi can do. Then, no need to do edit.
  2. Add direct editor link to system setting files.
  3. Editor link to icon panel and description how to add and remove apps. Hopefully there is better way.

Over all very good as long as little time needed to set up and change as per user need.

Problem after new update, get overwritten.
One idea, when try edit, info box say move panel to .fvwm/user. This helps learning by doing. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. I finalized the wallpaper which was the most difficult part. :blush: Fvwm default bg1.png I made it lighter to show shadows, and for Work Desk desktop-tiled.png.

FvwmKISe-default-wdesk-tmb

A Work Desk launch button is added.

1 Like

Super, much better. Both desks look very nice. When is next update, expecting new things?

Difficulty with Fvwm wallpapers, preferable for tiled wallpapers. Used for any screen resolution. @rasat made a few.
Let’s KIS with wallpapers and emphasize on functionalities that help users to navigate and get things done easier, this what I liked with myExt. Many believe WM is great looking at fantastic wallpaper but actually don’t do no different from one another. The Work Desk is a great start.

I managed to complete all tasks and suggestions. Also, workable on the different versions of Fvwm3 and Fvwm2.

Fvwm-KISe version 1.2.1, a simple and elegant base (KISe) for you to use, modify or add your own configs.

Main features:

1. Desk Launcher
  2. Iconfied Thumbnails
  3. Windows Desk Overview
  4. Tiling
  5. Work Desk
  6. Move and Resize Windows
  7. Page Indicator
  8. 4-button Window Title Bar
  9. Icon/Application Panel
  10. Task Panel
  11. Calendar/Day/Time Panel
  • Elegant transparency and shadows.
  • Documentation and instructions for individual scripts (function, style, color, menu, binding, decor, and module)
  • Tested on Fvwm3 (1.0.5 and 1.0.7) and Fvwm2

Download here.

Great!! In the list, you missed one of my favorit, AutoMoveWindow - Moves applications to a specific workspace (page) when they create windows.

1. Remove SimpleButton (Icon Panel) North-West function. Adding/removing apps in two files is confusing.
  2. In new install startup, copy SimpleButton to core/user.
  3. In Kmenu, add editor to edit SimpleButton (simpleB.sys)

This makes it easier for new user to add and remove and the icon.

Thanks, I made the changes. Also, now default wallpaper has better contrast.
I am taking a break for the summer. In autumn we finalize KISe and do the public announcement.

Thank you all for the help and have a good summer.

Download for testing here (v.1.2.2)

@rasat Good summer to you too. I really like this version, modules auto-copied to .fvwm/user. Made for new people.

Well done!!! My friend told launcher is similar to Mac hot corners. He got excited about it.
mac-hot-corner

Lets explore for more practical things that makes computing faster and easier. Enjoy the summer.

Soon autumn is coming.

Not yet, new things are coming. :wink: Sample screenshot made of pieces from Sample95 config posted recently. This is for the WorkDesk.

workDesk-sample4

The 4 desk pager is a Panel to extend and pull in.

1 Like

Thank youuu… nice coding. I did some improvement + transparency. Also, the Panel button (now a transparent icon), has three functions. Left-mouse click (Panel), Mid (xterm), and Right (Thunar)… multi-functional button copied from Sample-95 config,

work-desker

*BarButtons: (1x2, Icon $[icons]/fvwmWorkSpace.png, \
	Panel(left, position module -10+5 top, steps 6, delay 10, indicator 30) "FvwmDesker" \
	'Module FvwmPager FvwmDesker 0 3', \
    Action(Mouse 2) 'Exec exec xterm', \
    Action(Mouse 3) 'Exec exec thunar')

@rasat, screenshot on MX Linux is awesome.

fvwm-kise-nature-tmb

Upload the zip file, to look at scripts.

Here is version 1.3.0 for testing. Next, 1.3.1 for the public. Download here.

List of a few functions and modules included.

Functions

1. AutoMoveWin - Moves applications to a specific workspace (page) when they create windows.
  2. Desk Launcher - Starts functions Iconify(all except focused window, OverView of all open windows, Tile does vertical/horizontal tiling, and Work Desk with related workspaces.
  3. Page indicator - shows desk number and indicates which page is currently being displayed.
  4. Thumbnail - Iconifies windows into 150x100 thumbnails.

Decor

1. 4 Buttons Title Bar - Tiling, Iconify, Maximize, and Close.

Modules

1. Mini Control Panel - Rofi, Resize, Move, Help Menu, and Quit.
  2. Desker Button Bar/Pager - Made of pieces from Sample95 config. For example, one button with three actions: Left-mouse click (on/off workspace panel, Mid-mouse click (Xterm), and Left-mouse click (Tunar).
  3. Right Pager - Fvwm pager with 4 Desks, each with 4 pages.
  4. Right Task Bar - Modified Fvwm Right Panel.
  5. Time/Day Button - Time, date, and calendar.

StartUp Desk
Fvwm-KISe-130-tmb

Work Desk
Fvwm-KISe-130-WorkDesk-tmb

1 Like

Looks and works well. Change the button size. Move, resize, and close are too small. Instead of 2 columns and 3 rows, make 2 col x 2 rows.
The workdesk wallpaper makes desker pager and buttons unclear. Change wallpaper. Experiment screenshot.

desker-buttons

Or make the pager frame and text black color.
Calendar has 2 functions, Left-click Rofi and Right-click Calendar

Hello… you have done a trully amazing job at creating fvwm config my ext and so on…
this desktop is light on resources and very modern but oldschool at the same time
new to development here
is there a way to make it even simpler on having smart hide on the “dock/panel” ?
I am on nosystemD movement so i can use the configs on devuan. But where is an iso to copy the .fvwmrc file to test it ?
Is it the same as the one on sourceforge ?
Thanks…

If you have installed Fvwm3 (or Fvwm2), add the config in your user folder .fvwm/. In MyExt and Fvwm-KISe, the config file is split into individual scripts that make it easier to manage and add new functions and modules.

I suggest trying Fvwm-KISe with 24 ready-made scripts which is a simplified version of MyExt. Download the zip file here and extract the content into .fvwm. And restart or reload Fvwm.

1 Like