PEM's stuff

I see that you didn’t set any wallpaper yet. I use Esetroot to display them. It comes with Eterm :wink:

By the way, you previous post is showing a very huge picture, could you decrease its resolution, please? I breaks readability of this thread.

If you have issue on translation (french is not an easy language), just ask me.

And carry on paperp! Your first fvwm’s config is gonna be a pretty huge piece.

Ok , sorry for my big image…changed!
Yes I have problem to translate everityhing in english , especially for your menu could you help me??
For trasparency something go bad and other better…I don’t know maybe I must kill xcompmgr , but it is so sweet… :wink:
This is what I must change:

1. fill the menu with the rigth path tosome applications;
    2)fill with some cool icons your menu(in fatc right now I have a LONG prhase with your path to application that meke a HUGE menu , and no icons).
    3)find the way to leave 3ddesktop works for moving between desktops , I got it but i’s not integrated with your theme…
    4)I have no idea about why , sometime the windows are minized whit a beaitful screenshot and sometime with just a awful icon??
    But now I’m pretty happy for the result… :smiley:

No prob paperb! Thanks for the change.

Here are the translation:
Dossier personnel → Home
Terminal → Terminal (pretty obvious this one)
Navigateur → Browser
Editeur → Editor
Courrier → Mail
Bureautique → Office
Developpement → Development
Graphisme → Graphism
Internet → Internet
Jeux → Games
Multimedia → Multimedia
Préférences → Preferences
Utilitaires → Utilities
Quitter → Exit

There are other things in french under other menu:
Calculatrice → Calculator
Marche → On
Thème → Theme
Editer → Edit
Quitter → Exit
Redémarrer → Restart
Ordinateur → Computer
Arrêter → Stop
Bureau → Desk

I won’t blame you here.

Check the intro of this thread. I provide a link to the current icon set I use. It could be a good start (to avoid blank space for a start).

I’ve put my config on the first page of the thread. Adapt it to your taste.

When all you apps will be defined (under the style.fvwm2rc), there should be no probs.

Yeahh!

Now I have your faboulus gnant icons , but I made a bit of confusion in modyfing the filoe config about topbar for having the right resolution , ine is 1280x1024 , but I destroyed…now the iconbar is strange…can you suggesty the right number:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmTopBar: * *FvwmTopBar: BoxSize fixed *FvwmTopBar: Colorset 23 *FvwmTopBar: Columns 1590 *FvwmTopBar: Rows 3 *FvwmTopBar: Geometry 1590x40+5+5 *FvwmTopBar: Frame 0 *FvwmTopBar: Padding 0 0 *FvwmTopBar: ( 125x3+0+1) *FvwmTopBar: ( 1267x1+125+1, Size 1267 26, \ Swallow "FvwmIconMan" "FvwmIconMan -g 1000x26") *FvwmTopBar: ( 36x3+1304+0, Size 36 36, \ Swallow "VolumeLevel" `FvwmScript $[fvwm_script]/VolumeLevel \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume4.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume3.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume2.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume1.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume0.png) *FvwmTopBar: ( 36x3+1346+0, Size 36 36, \ Swallow "WifiSensor" `FvwmScript $[fvwm_script]/WifiSensor \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi4.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi3.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi2.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi1.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi0.png)

I know that would be a problem. Everything under this bar is unfortunately hardcoded. I got to enhance this topbar with a more flexible resizing option.

Anyway, the topbar’s width is 1590 which is a little bit less than my width resolution to make it like it floats in fin air. If you want to keep this behavior, you will have to cut the topbar.png and topbar_shape.xpm of the Arctic’s deco to match a size of 1270 = 1280 your screen width - 5 pixels on the left - 5 pixels on the right. Gimp is really the tool to use (I’ve used it a lot to achieve that kind of things).

Once done, let’s have a look to this topbar made of FvwmButtons, shall we. I’ve defined a geometry for this button of 1590x40+5+5. That’s for its size and its placement. So if you keep the 5 pixels space around the topbar, you should end up with something like 1270x40+5+5. As you’ve noticed, I’ve set an enormous amount of colums equal to the topbar’s width in pixels. This is to achieve placement of swallowed apps at a pixel level. Thus, you should lower this value to match your width: Columns 1270.

Now, it’s the turn to the swallowed apps to get resized and moved. The width difference between my desktop and yours is 1600-1280 = 320. So, I advise you to only resize the FvwmIconMan module which size is 1267 in my case. The unfinished VolumeLevel and WifiSensor FvwmScripts have to get moved to the left to avoid their disappearence.

This should lead us to:

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmTopBar: * *FvwmTopBar: BoxSize fixed *FvwmTopBar: Colorset 23 *FvwmTopBar: Columns 1270 *FvwmTopBar: Rows 3 *FvwmTopBar: Geometry 1270x40+5+5 *FvwmTopBar: Frame 0 *FvwmTopBar: Padding 0 0 *FvwmTopBar: ( 125x3+0+1) *FvwmTopBar: ( 947x1+125+1, Size 947 26, \ Swallow "FvwmIconMan" "FvwmIconMan -g 947x26") *FvwmTopBar: ( 36x3+1184+0, Size 36 36, \ Swallow "VolumeLevel" `FvwmScript $[fvwm_script]/VolumeLevel \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume4.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume3.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume2.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume1.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/volume0.png) *FvwmTopBar: ( 36x3+1226+0, Size 36 36, \ Swallow "WifiSensor" `FvwmScript $[fvwm_script]/WifiSensor \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi4.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi3.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi2.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi1.png \ $[fvwm_theme_img]/wifi0.png)
Just one last thing, this should not bother Fvwm but we never know. The FvwmIvonMan owns also its geometry settings under its configuration file (iconman.fvwm2rc in our case). Thus, it may be adequate to change its value if you run into weird palcement problem. If you need a hand on this, you know where to post :wink:

Sorry, No I have not. I have been working on reworking my configs and new theme so that I could put up my own screenshots. But something I was thinking about is that a menu like what we want may have to be a perl script menu. Getting the output to “show up” as a menulist item is a problem because there are no real provisions for fvwm to set space for a dynamic menu item in the manner which you and I would like. (I am sure that doesn’t make sense)

The reason I mention perl script menu is that I remembered just today that one of the mpd scripts I have been playing around with is a nice menu for controlling mpd and one of the first list items is the currently playing song so perhaps that is what needs to be done. I am not a perl scripter but I will take a look at it and see what I come up with. I will post some examples hopefully by tomorrow.

@Chickpea:
Well, it can be done in bash without too much hastle. Anyway, I’m working on it, in Perl. I’m learning this language and it’s quite funny to make my training session useful.

@UltraDiabos, @Chickpea:
It’s gonna be cloudy and rainy around Paris for the next coming days:

And, here’s a simple Perl script that parses the forecasts already created by the weather icon in my dock. It fills up a menu by using a DynamicPopupAction and a function with (famous) PipeRead:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w open(FORECASTS, "/dev/shm/weather.log") or print '+ "No forecasts available"' and exit; $index = 0, $forecast = 0, $line = 0; while($line = <FORECASTS>) { chomp($line); if($index == 0) { print "+ %$line%"; $index = 1; } elsif($index == 1) { if($forecast == 0) { print "\"Today\tTemp $line Hum "; } else { print "\"Day $forecast\tTemp $line Hum "; } $index = 2; } else { print "$line %%\"\n"; $index = 0; $forecast = $forecast + 1; } }

Hi

I re-emerged the curl and the ogg work,thanks.

I have the other question here

I have a yahoo email, is there any solution so I can see how many
mails in my yahoo mail using your mail.plx??

@kevwalker:
Well, Yahoo mailbox cannot be considered as POP3 account. Although, this problem has been gently treated by the guy from Perl. I’ve searched the CPAN and found this. So you have to import the Perl module and adapt mail.plx. It should be easy.

Ok , as soon as I can I fire Gimp up and try to modify it , following your tutorial.
The icons are really good , I’m starting to play with Esetroot (he,he,he more funny than I’d thought… :wink: ) but no chance to understand how to activate and use 3ddesk , even if I got it works under other Wm , even I 've copied your setting , but I don’t achieve the ability to play with it under FVWM Gentoo by Pem!!
:imp:
Too stupid??(me of course)

EDIT/ 1)any importance in having the path about transset listed here:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/davidee/gentoo/mypatches/transSet.c
2) what do you think about sostitute your bottombar with an Engage ,obviously the pager find place in somewhere??

You should check it on the command line. There’s no reason it worked in other wm and not in Fvwm. I should rather say, there is more reason for it not to work in other wm than in Fvwm :wink:

Well I don’t use it. I’m a bit reluctant in integrating patches caus’ I like to have my gentoo box up to date. I fear the huge code change and the impossibility to get the patch running on a new code. It would make me used to a feature that keeps my box not up to date. There, it’s your choice.

Engage seems pretty cool but I don’t know what it can provide me compare to the FvwmButton. Are the icon animated or something?

Yes , I got some problem with permission , but even working with root , when I change desktop , 3ddesk , aren’t able to grab the background , and when I turn back on the previous one , I haven’t the right rended backgroung but blurred , or something like that…I mean the same visualitation of when you are on the cylinder without the cursor…you know.

For the permission, it’s pretty weird. I run my box on a non-priviledged user to avoid mistake and reduce risk of being hacked.

Concerning the blurred effect, it’s quite normal. 3ddesktop grabs screenshots of the current screens and use it in a fullscreen opengl application as textures. So, to reduce the CPU consumption and memory, I’ve reduced the size of the texture. You can play with it by modifying the parameters /etc/3ddesktop.conf:

texturesize     512

@pem:

I have a POP3 mailbox in my school(not in my machine),can your
mail.plx work for that?

I mean how to set the POP3 server(location,ID,password) using your mail.plx?

I’m just fighting with 3ddesk…apropo , you start 3ddesksd with rc-update or what??

P.S. I must find a different way for changing topbar , no space for compiling Gimp…ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!Yes I know I must find money for a new HD :unamused:

If you can acess an IP of your school (VPN, SSH) there sould be no prob. Though, it’s all about IP routing.

I store the conf in a hidden file ~/.secret_pop3 which contains:

server pop3.YourSchool.com login YourUserID passwd YourUserPassword
PS: If your box is able to resolve and ping pop3.YourSchool.com, Perl and it’s module should have no problem to work.

Nope. Actually, it’s started by Fvwm under the StartFunction. Although, it’s not necessary as your first call to the 3ddesk function should raise the server 3ddeskd.

Don’t bother, there are multiple way to do one job on Linux. I guess you should have installed GraphicsMagick for now. So, the GraphicsMagick tools can achive what you are seeking. It will be a little bit more difficult but I think it’s the best way to learn their incredible possibilities. Check ‘man gm’ or the site, which contains an incredible amount of example: graphicsmagick.org

tks pem… that is a perl script isn’t it?
but i’m newbie on fvwm and i have to do this question:
how i put the script on menu to open when i put the mouse on submenu…
tks again

The first step is to custom the command that reads the weather and imports the forecasts. This is achieved via my Perl script ~/.fvwm/script/weather_log.plx:

#!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use LWP::Simple; my $content = get("http://www.w3.weather.com/weather/print/FRXX0076"); $content =~ s/.*<!-- begin loop -->(.*)<!-- end loop -->.*/$1/s; my @day = split /<TR>/, $content; shift @day; my ($day, $date, $img, $temp, $precip); my $tomorrow; foreach $_ (@day) { ($day) = /(\w+)<\/A>/s; ($date) = /<BR> (.+?)</s; ($img) = /(\d+)\.gif/s; $img = $ARGV[0] . $img . '.png'; ($temp) = /<B>(.*?)<\/B>/s; $temp =~ s/&deg;/chr(186)/eg; $temp =~ s|(\d+)|sprintf "%d", ($1 - 32) * 5 / 9|eg; ($precip) = /(\d+ %)/; print $img . "\n" . $temp . "C\n" . $precip . "\n"; }
The fourth line contains the URL to modify. Check yours that matches your country at weather.com

Once done, we have to call this script. I personnaly call it in the InitFunction (in the ~/.fvwm/config):

[code]SetEnv fvwm_weather um

AddtoFunc InitFunction

• I exec exec $[fvwm_script]/weather_log.plx $./img/weather/$[fvwm_weather]/ > /dev/shm/weather.log
    …[/code]
    This create a log entry under /dev/shm/weather.log. Now, it’s time to dig these data and manage them so that they look like items of a menu. This requires a function that will be triggered when you move your mouse to the appropriate menu (still in the ~/.fvmw/config):

[code]#####

Weather function

##################
DestroyFunc WeatherCheck
AddToFunc WeatherCheck

• I DestroyMenu recreate MenuWeather
  • I AddToMenu MenuWeather
  • I PipeRead ‘$[fvwm_script]/weather_menu.plx’[/code]
    As you see it, I’ve called the script that generates the menu ~/.fvwm/script/weather_menu.plx.
    Well, now drawing is believing, so , you have to declare the menu that holds the weather forecasts (under ~/.fvwm/conf/menu.fvwm2rc):

[code]AddToMenu MenuWeather

• DynamicPopupAction Function WeatherCheck[/code]
    Then integrate it to you main menu (under the utilities section, for instance and still under ~/.fvwm/conf/menu.fvwm2rc):

+ "Weather forecasts" \ popup MenuWeather
Et voilà! :open_mouth:

PS: Pay attention to the right of your file (chmod u+x on the the scripts that will be launched).